Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Question of Questions



These are the thinks I think... and then overthink...



A favorite TV series of mine was recently brought to mind.  If you looked beneath this particular show's surface of alien makeup and special effects, you found it was less about seeking answers of deep space, and more about seeking answers deep within humanity and within one's self.
In this particular case, that underlying deepness focused on three deceptively simple questions: 


Who are you?   What do you want?   Where are you going? 


Three short questions we've all answered a million times, often with little to no thought at all:
   I'm Helen's daughter.     I'd like a cold iced tea, please.     I'm off to the beach.     A reader.     Hope.     The cafeteria.     Perrian's wife.     A friend.     The office.     That shy girl in pigtails.     Creature comforts.     To infinity, and beyond.    Nobody special.   To be noticed.    The library.


Slowly through the course of the show,  a character of dubious origins, a sort of "fixer",  asked these three questions of each character.   Episodes, or even seasons, later,  the answers they declared developed an eerie tendency to come true.  
As you might expect, it was rarely to their benefit. 
In fact, the only good outcome came for the junior character who, after many refusals to answer, finally suggested he wanted to see this shady character's head on a pike. 

My original intent in starting this post was to try to come up with and record some of my own answers.   Then, as I began the exercise in navel-gazing, I found myself wondering: can any of us really truly understand what the answers to any of these are, in a long-term, big-picture, whole-life sense?  What is the purpose in even asking these questions?

Besides,  the very act of sharing would cause me to censor my answers, to pick the best of me, to mask the worst, to self-censor, and to otherwise cleanse for an audience, whether intentionally or not. 
Further, I wonder, wouldn't it be somewhat futile to try to write down ideas in a way that would be necessarily be limited by the boundaries and prejudices of the English language?

Perhaps it is  better to keep the reflections of the past light, and instead to look forward, to move on, to "just go," to stop wasting time wondering and defining, and just to live.  

So I'll just leave you with a random sampling of applicable answers....  and while you're here, please do share your own random, meaningful, or entertaining (but true) sets of answers in the comments.
___________________

Who am I?    A girl. A woman. A daughter. A ponderer. The Dred Pirate Roberts. A tester. A geek. A wife. A dog-owner.

What do I want?     A good book. Ice cream. Peace on Earth. Two million dollars. Friends. A red-ryder bb gun. A good laugh.  Financial security. To make someone giggle uncontrollably. 

Where am I going?   To bed.


6 comments:

  1. I LOVE how your brain works.. I am so lucky to be married to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you tried a game of thrones?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your simplicity has me devising a list of my own. That should occupy me for about a half an hour. Maybe I can re-route my "could be" courses of self destruction. I NEVER want the things that are good for me. I'm a "like to be challenged" type of Masochist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all tend to want some things that aren't good for us... Cake is yummier than green peas.... Or that aren't good for the people around us.
      But really, if they stay in our minds and we don't act on them, is there anything so wrong with that?

      Delete
  4. To each of us we have moments, nay hours of questions of our own place in this world. I feel we have a need to validate our place in the scheme of things. We are many things to many people but to each we have a primary meaning. Husband, son, father, grand-father, educator, mentor, spiritual leader and I don't know what else. Mainly because I don't know how my life interacts with the person that sees me down the hall or across the street. I am many but I am me.

    ReplyDelete